Homemade oatmeal bites that will rival anything you find in stores. Ground ginger and molasses gives these mini bites a nice kick to start your day off right.
I’m definitely one for big breakfasts of eggs and veggies, but sometimes whipping out the fry pan isn’t the most convenient thing in the morning, especially on work days. On-the-go breakfasts have been a little harder for me to come by since I started on my elimination diet, but no longer! These cute mini gingerbread oatmeal breakfast bites keep me full till lunch and I can make them over the weekend for an easy weekday breakfast.
Now that we’re into the winter months I’m always searching for something that feels like holiday. To me there is nothing more holiday than gingerbread. My parents have distributed Pepperidge Farm cookies for as long as I can remember and I was always sure to get at least three boxes of the Ginger Family Cookie Collection for the holidays. Since that is off the table this year I had to get that ginger fix another way. Don’t tell my mom but I might like these better!
They are soft and chewy with just the right amount of bite from the ginger. The main components of applesauce and certified gluten free quick cooking oats help the cookies retain their shape and stay very moist. The best part? These guys are gluten free, vegan, and just overall delicious. If you’re not into mini things, you can also make these “normal” sized (just check out the recipe notes for batter amount and baking times.)
I can’t wait to experiment with different flavors for these guys. I can tell you this much, next round we’re going double chocolate. To the recipe drawing board I go!
Stay tuned for more great recipes coming later this week. I have a Shepard’s Pie on the roster you’re not going to want to miss!
How do you like these gingerbread oatmeal bites? What other flavors would you like to see? Comment below! Don’t forget to follow my social channels and subscribe to get exclusive content just for you!
- 1 cup quick cooking oats (certified gluten free)
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- heaping 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 tsp molasses
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly in a medium bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a melon baller to make small mounds of batter 3/4 of an inch apart. (I fit a full 24 on my small baking sheet).
- Using a fork gently flatten the mounds slightly.
- Baking 10-12 minutes until golden brown on bottom.
- *You could also make larger cookies. Spoon about two tablespoons of batter for each cookie. Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden on the bottom. (Yields 10-12 cookies)