Before starting my elimination diet the coconut I consumed was limited to the occasional coconut drink on the beach. I now eat coconut chips, coconut flour, coconut oil, the list goes on. So much coconut! I figured if I’m ever going to try a coconut macaroon I guess now is the time! These little guys are chewy and absolutely bursting at the seams with coconut flavor. They are a perfect quick treat for yourself and beautiful enough to make for a party as a delicious finger food dessert. This recipe is egg free, gluten free, and could even be made vegan. Allowing for a great party snack if you have friends with allergies or certain dietary restrictions.
This recipe makes use of one of my favorite substitutions. Chia eggs! 1 tbsp chia seeds to 3 tbsp water is the perfect substitute for 1 egg. Because we are using an egg substitute these macaroons are a little bit denser than a standard macaroon where the egg whites get whipped and folded into the batter. But I think they are pretty delicious regardless!
These guys are great as is or you can doll these guys up with some drizzled chocolate or chopped almonds. Be creative and make them your own!
- If you’d like to make this recipe vegan you can take out the ghee and use an additional 1/4 cup coconut oil
- If you’d like your macaroons extra sweet you can use sweetened shredded coconut, I think they are delicious even without the extra sugar.
Give this recipe a try! Be sure to post a picture on instagram with the #ocdkitchenrecipes so I can see your creations. Don’t forget to subscribe below for special recipes and tips sent straight to your inbox!
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup ghee *
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut *
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper
- Combine the chia seeds and water in a small bowl and let sit 5 min (until the chia has gelatinized)
- In a large mixing bowl add the ghee, coconut oil, and cane sugar, whisk together until combined
- Add the chia seeds into ghee mixture whisk to combine
- Fold the coconut flour and shredded coconut into the rest of the ingredients
- Using a melon baller (or a 1 tsp measure) place the batter onto the baking sheet about two inches apart
- Bake in batches 11-13 minutes or until golden brown
- Immediately cool on a wire rack
- (maybe drizzle some with chocolate and serve!)
- *by substituting the ghee for another 1/4 cup coconut oil this recipe can be made vegan!
- *if you'd like your macaroons extra sweet you can used sweetened shredded coconut