There’s something magical about crispy chicken skin. These herbed chicken wings will satisfy that crunchy craving from the oven! That’s right no frying here. Just take a look at these beauties!
I’m so excited to bring recipes to my blog! If you’re visiting for the first time I’m currently on an elimination diet which you can go read about in my story. It’s my goal to show that elimination diets don’t have to be boring, you can still have mouth watering food even if your ingredients are limited!
This recipe makes about 20 wings which is the perfect amount for two. If you need a larger amount for a party or if you have a bigger family this recipe is easy to double or triple just scale the ingredients appropriately.
Just a couple notes about my recipe: Due to my elimination diet, ground pepper is on my no fly list, but for those of you who can have it feel free to add up a 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper to the oil mixture at the beginning. To make sure you successfully get that skin nice and crispy be sure to follow the key rules below:
1. Getting the wings really dry before you add the oil. (You’ll see I only pat dry my wings, I don’t rinse them. Rinsing chicken can actually spread harmful bacteria around you kitchen so it’s a habit I’ve tried to kick.)
2. Putting the baking sheets in the oven while it’s preheating will really help to crisp up that skin as soon as the chicken touches the pan.
3. I don’t line my pans with foil for this recipe. The oil on the chicken and the high heat of the oven should keep them from sticking. If you don’t like the clean up this requires you could definitely line the pans with foil, but it might compromise your crispy crunchy texture.
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken wings (about 20 wings)
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- chopped fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (place two baking sheets in the oven while it preheats to get them nice and hot)
- In a small bowl combine oil, salt, garlic, basil, and oregano. Set aside.
- Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels and place in large mixing bowl
- Pour oil and herb mixture over wings and toss together until wings are evenly coated
- Carefully remove the hot pans from the oven and evenly distribute wings across both baking sheets.
- Place back in the oven and cook for 35 minutes turning once half way through.
- Garnish with basil and serve.
- *If you like pepper, add a 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper into the oil mixture
- *The oven may get a little smokey because of the high heat turning on the vent above the oven when you get started could help to keep the smoke at bay