This crisp refreshing slaw is a great side dish to any meal. Rainbow carrots give it even more of a pop.
Have a quick snack that you seem to eat all the time? For me is sliced cucumbers with a little tamari (gluten free soy sauce) to dip them in. It makes me feel like I’m eating sushi even when I’m not, and lets face it, who doesn’t want to be eating sushi.
When I feel like taking that quick snack up a notch (in true Emeril style, BAM!) I make this Asian slaw. It’s cool and crunchy and comes together really quick.
The great thing about cucumbers is all the water they hold. The bad thing about cucumbers in terms of this slaw…is all the water they hold. Life’s funny like that I suppose.
To counteract this issue we salt the cucumber and allow it to release some of its water before we mix it into the slaw. Now, this being said the cucumbers will continue to release water as the slaw sits. It will always be delicious there may just be a bit of liquid at the bottom of the bowl. I like to eat this slaw as soon as I make it to try and cut that off before it happens or I’ll just drain any excess if need be before serving.
Now, you can make this slaw with regular orange carrots, and it will be just as delicious. But! If you want to give it the color that you see in the photos use rainbow carrots. I love how the purple carrots have a halo of orange around the core. There’s something about it that just makes me happy.
I really like food. I’m aware how strange that sentence was. ^
What do you think of this recipe? Want to see more like this? Be sure to subscribe below to keep up to date with all OCD Kitchen recipes!
- 1 hot house cucumber
- 2 large carrots (I used one purple and one yellow)
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp low sodium tamari sauce (or soy sauce if not gluten free)
- 1 tsp honey
- cracked pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Julienne (or spiralize) the carrot and cucumber. Place carrot in large mixing bowl
- Place cucumber in a colander and toss with salt and let drain 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix remaining ingredients and whisk to combine.
- After cucumbers have released some excess moisture place in bowl with carrots and toss with dressing.
- The cucumbers will continue to release moisture as they sit. Still delicious, but you may want to drain any excess moisture before serving.